ELSA is an acronym for Emotional Literacy Support Assistant
Here at Sherbrook school at present (June 22) we have two fully Trained staff Tania Brown and Jo Powers who are ELSA network registered and Debbie Powell who is in training.
Role of an ELSA
- To help children to recognise, understand and manage emotions.
- Plan and deliver individual and sometimes small group support programmes.
- Receive training and support from Educational Psychologists.
Areas we can offer support with
- Recognising and managing feelings.
- Anger management.
- Self esteem.
- Supporting Children through Loss and Bereavement.
- Friendship skills.
- Social Skills.
Benefits to the child
- Able to build a good relationship with staff.
- Feel supported, listened to and a sense of belonging.
- Learn good coping strategies.
- Feel good about themselves.
- Interact appropriately with others.
- Really enjoy the sessions.