Our Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all children, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners. Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
The 6 Forest School Principles
- Forest School is a long-term process.
- Forest School takes place in a natural wooded environment.
- Forest School aims to promote holistic development.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-led processes.
What is Forest School?
- A Forest School is an outdoor learning environment with a child-centred learning process that focuses on play, exploration and supported risk-taking. Both problem-solving and self-discovery are important features of our Forest School. Encouraging children to learn through hands-on experiential learning in a natural setting helps to develop their confidence and self-esteem.
- Forest School encourages children to be physically active. The variety of sessions and activities that are offered provide a host of learning experiences for the child. As well as the physical and educational benefits of attending a Forest School, the social and emotional development of the child are at the forefront of Forest School learning.
- Forest School is not limited by planned activities. Forest School is designed to be child-led. This means children are encouraged to direct their own learning. Learning is unstructured and is led by the child’s own curiosity and interests. Staff may scaffold the children’s learning, meaning staff will offer support and guidance to children and as they learn or develop new skills.
Forest School at Sherbrook is multi-sensory and can help improve concentration and the motivation to learn. Forest School can help children with additional needs to gain more independence and self-confidence, reduce anxiety, build resilience, and improve their communication skills.
LOTC - Forest School